These super crispy and well seasoned homemade air fryer sweet potato chips are just perfect. Made using very little oil, they are the perfect munchie
PREP TIME10 minsCOOK TIME12 minsTOTAL TIME22 minsCOURSESide, SnackCUISINEAmericanSERVINGS4CALORIES134 kcal
- Air fryer
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes or 500 gm.
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika or cayenne
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar or jaggery optional
- Wash sweet potatoes, peel them and slice them finely and similarly. I use this mandolin slicer for even-sized chips.
- Dry them well and keep aside.
- Add 3 tsp. olive oil to the cut sweet potato chips and toss well so that each chip is coated with oil.
- Mix together pepper, cayenne and salt. If using brown sugar, add that as well. Brown sugar gives it good caramelisation and enhances the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle the spice mix all over the chips and toss to coat evenly.
Air frying chips
- Preheat the air fryer at 180C or 360F for 4 minutes. Brush with oil. Lay the coated sweet potato chips in the basket.
- I let them overlap a bit as they shrink when they air fry.
- Air fry at 180C or 360F for about 7-8 minutes till crispy.
- Keep opening the basket and shaking or flipping them once or twice during air frying. Separate a few if you see them sticking together.
- Remember they crisp up more after keeping out.
- They are super tasty once done and crunchy too. Enjoy them.
1. I have used the lighter sweet potatoes here which are less sweet and give lovely savoury sweet chips. You can use the darker and sweeter orange coloured sweet potatoes too. 2. Cut the chips evenly. This is very important. Mandolin slicers are quick and fast for this task. 3. Ensure that oil coats both sides of each chip evenly. This makes the chips crunchy. Oil also helps adhere spices to the chip. 4. Using brown sugar or jaggery gives it a nice caramelisation. 5. You can allow a bit of overlap when you load your air fryer basket. The chips naturally shrink when you air fry them. Shake the basket regularly and you can flip the chips as well when cooking. 6. Do not let the chips sit in the seasoning and oil for long before air frying. They will release moisture which makes the chips soggy and takes longer to air fry. 7. I took 3 batches to cook 1 lb. chips. So I just added oil and seasoning to enough chips for 1 batch and air fried them right away. Second and third batch took 1 minute less air frying time. After 5 minutes, keep checking the air fryer after every minute. You don’t want the chips burning or turning too brown. 8. It is best to have these hot. But otherwise store in an air tight jar and consume within 2 days. You will need to air fry them for 2 minutes at 180C to make them crispy again. 9. They taste as good as deep fried and use much less oil. You can also air fry them without oil. There is a slight difference in taste and they feel drier. Toss with the seasonings after air frying then.
Calories: 134kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 2gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gSodium: 302mgPotassium: 403mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 16347IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 38mgIron: 1mg