One of my favorite vegetarian recipes, this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili with Quinoa is a hearty vegetarian chili recipe that’s easy enough for a weeknight. This healthy chili can be made on the stove top or in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes about 2 medium (4 cups chopped), peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth plus more as needed
- ¾ cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the remaining ½ tablespoon olive oil and the chopped sweet potatoes to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes to deepen the flavors of the spices and tomato paste.
- Stir in the the diced tomatoes, broth, quinoa and black beans.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 25 minutes, until the quinoa and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Serve with toppings as desired: Greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, chopped red onion, green onion. A squeeze of fresh lime juice also brightens up the flavors.
- Be sure to chop the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes. The smaller cubes will cook faster than larger pieces.
- This chili is not very spicy. If you want more heat, add 2 or more teaspoons of adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo, until your chili is as spicy as you want it.
- Read the post above for instructions to make this chili in the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1109mg | Potassium: 1142mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 17685IU | Vitamin C: 23.2mg | Calcium: 126mg | Iron: 5.1mg
Leave a Reply