This is a very healthy, vegetarian main course with lots of protein from the chickpeas and quinoa. The flavors in this recipe are a blend of Persian and Mediterranean. Very easy to make and super satisfying! This freezes really well for a dinner or lunch later on (vegan cheese and all!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, or as needed
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- ⅔ cup quinoa
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (such as Del Monte® Stewed Tomatoes with Onions, Celery, and Green Peppers)
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced, white parts and tops separated
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds and membrane removed
- ¼ cup crumbled vegan cheese
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Step 2Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 3Mix garbanzo beans, stewed tomatoes, walnuts, raisins, white parts of green onions, lemon juice, chili powder, garlic powder, mint, and cinnamon together in a bowl; stir in cooked quinoa.
- Step 4Arrange red bell pepper halves, hollow-side facing upwards, in the prepared baking sheet. Spoon quinoa mixture into each red bell pepper half.
- Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until bell peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Spoon a few teaspoons of drippings from the bottom of the baking dish over each stuffed pepper; top each with 1 tablespoon goat cheese and green parts of green onions.
Per Serving: 469 calories; protein 16.3g; carbohydrates 78.5g; fat 12.4g; cholesterol 6.9mg; sodium 654.2mg. Full Nutrition