- 2 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 4 large eggs beaten (or flax eggs)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or Chipotle Chili Powder optional
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup fresh chives chopped or parsley (I use a blend)
- 1 onion chopped fine
- ⅔ cup fresh Parmesan grated (Vegetarian Parm or ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast and 2 tablespoons vegan cheese)
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs gluten free
- avocado oil for cooking (About 2 tablespoons)
- In a medium bowl combine quinoa, eggs, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Stir in chives, onion, parmesan, and garlic.
- Add breadcrumbs and stir until well combined. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes.
- Form into patties. You and make them any size you like – I prefer to keep them small because it makes for easy flipping.
- The mixture should be very moist. You may need to add water or extra breadcrumbs to moisten or make the mixture dryer.
- Place a large skillet over medium low heat. Heat avocado oil. Add as many patties as your skillet can handle, being careful not to overload it so that you have trouble flipping the quinoa patties.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes your patties aren’t brown turn the heat up and cook (carefully to avoid burning) until they brown. Flip and cook for 7 more minutes on the other side.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack, keeping your spatula handy to fend off family members who try to steal them.
- Tips & Tricks for Making Quinoa Patties
- Cooking time can vary depending on the type of pan and stove you are using. My cast iron skillet on a gas stove cooks faster than a regular skillet on an electric stove. I recommend checking the patties after the first 5 minutes. They are ready to flip when they are golden brown.
- Making Vegan Quinoa Patties
- The quinoa patties will not hold together as well when using flax eggs. Be careful when you are flipping!
- Making Baked Quinoa Patties
- These Quinoa Patties may be baked, but they will not come out as crispy. I recommend spraying them with oil. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes; flip and bake for 7 more minutes.
- Variations for Quinoa Patties
- A variety of cheeses will work well in place of the Parmesan. I love goat cheese and feta, but cheddar, swiss and mozzarella are nice as well.
- My boys have loved garlic since they were little, but if garlic isn’t something your family loves, feel free to reduce or omit. You can also use 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic on hand.
- If you would like to add a little kick, add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Calories: 195kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 413mg | Potassium: 193mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 350IU | Vitamin C: 3.3mg | Calcium: 154mg | Iron: 2.1mg
Leave a Reply