A delicious, vegan dish for your next holiday gathering! This stuffed acorn squash recipe is easy to follow and sure to please a crowd with it’s sweet and savory flavors and mix of textures!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 medium acorn squashes, halved
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup fresh peas, or thawed if frozen
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- spring onions, to taste, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Score the flesh of each squash and spoon to scoop out the seeds and place each piece cut side up in a large baking dish that fits all 4 halves.
- Brush a light coat of olive oil, add salt and pepper and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the flesh is soft when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven once cooked.
- In the meantime, cook the quinoa. Bring a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add the rinsed quinoa with 2 cups of water. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa absorbed the water, then remove it from the heat and let it rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and reserve.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the sliced mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until mushrooms are browned, add the garlic, and cook for a minute until fragrant. Reserve.
- Add the cooked quinoa, walnuts, dried cranberries, peas, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture over the 4 squash halves evenly, top each with the crispy mushrooms and return to the oven just to heat the filling for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle spring onions on top and serve warm.
- Calories: 493kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 1318mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 939IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 5mg