Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 20 Roti
Spinach roti is a healthy Indian flatbread made with wholewheat flour, Spinach and spices.Delicious on its own or can be enjoyed with a curry.
- 2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Cup Spinach Palak
- ¼ Cup Water + more
- ½ Inch Ginger
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- ¾ -1 Tsp Salt
- 1 -2 Green Chillies Optional
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil or Oil of your choice
- Ghee or Vegan Butter as needed ( Optional )
* Cup size us IKEA plastic cup
- Blanch the Spinach – Add Spinach, boiling water from the kettle and a pinch of salt to a pot. Allow them to blanch for 5-6 minutes in medium flame. Drain the spinach leaves to a colanderand run them under cold tap water.
- SPinach Puree – Blend the blanched spinach leaves along with ginger and make a fine puree. Approximately yields ¾ Cup. Add very little water if needed **In case you are not making it for kids, you can add 2 green chillies to grind along with the spinach leaves.
- Spinach roti dough- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach puree, whole wheat flour, salt, cumin powder and start kneading. Add a little more water as you knead until you achieve soft pliable dough. Splash the sunflower oil onto your hands and the remaining on the dough and knead . Set the dough to rest for 20 Minutes or so.
- Roll the Roti Thin – Divide the dough into 20 equal portions. Pick one portion of dough at a time, dust flour and roll into thin roti. Heat a non-stick pan / tava and cook each roti on the pan slightly for a few minutes until you start to see some bubbles. Flip the roti and cook for another a minute or so .
- Flame Bake -Place the partially cooked roti on the flame carefully , watch them begin to puff up slowly. Flip it and allow it puff up on the other side as well. Remove from the flame and smear ghee, if you like. Pile them into a casserole.
- Pan Cook – Incase you do not want to flame bake it, cook for a few more minutes on the pan. Put a gentle pressure using a flat spatula on each side and then set them aside in a casserole to keep it warm.
- Serve warm spinach roti with your favourite side.