PREP TIME20 minsCOOK TIME25 minsTOTAL TIME45 minsCOURSEMain Course, Side Dish, SnackCUISINEAsian, ChineseSERVINGS2
- 1 small head of cauliflower washed and cut into florets
- cilantro stems or chopped green onions for garnish
- oil for cooking
- ¾ cup [94g] all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup [175ml] cup water or plant milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- a few shakes of white pepper
- ¾ cup freshly squeeze orange juice from 2 oranges
- 1½ tablespoons [22ml] soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes or chili of choice
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup or 1 tablespoon sugar adjust depending on the sweetness of your orange
- cornstarch slurry mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water
- Pat cauliflower florets dry with a paper towel or let them air dry in a colander.
- Whisk together batter ingredients in a bowl until well combined. The batter should be thick enough to coat the florets.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F [220°C]. Dredge cauliflower florets in the batter, shake off excess and place them on the air fryer rack.
- Air ‘fry’ until golden brown, about 8 – 10 minutes with a shake in between, if needed. See notes to bake these in the oven.
- In a heated non-stick pan, slowly pour in the orange juice along with the sauce ingredients, except cornstarch slurry.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and stir until the sugar has melted, then stir in the cornstarch slurry.
- Add in the cauliflower florets, and quickly toss everything together until well-combined.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro or scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
To bake the cauliflower bites:
- Preheat oven to 450°F [230°C]. Dredge cauliflower florets in the batter, shake off excess and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Brush or spray each floret with oil and bake until golden brown for about 20 mins, flipping halfway. (You can also turn the broiler to low & broil for about 3 mins to get the roasted look at the top)