Sopa de lentejas is a Spanish lentil soup with vegetables that’s delicious and full of nutrients. Perfect for the cold season, this is a naturally vegan lentil soup the entire family is bound to fall in love with.
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME40 minutes
TOTAL TIME50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large parsnip, diced
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed (about 250 g) (8.8 oz)
- 175 g (6 oz) brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 (6 cups) litres low-salt vegetable stock
- 100 g (3.5 oz) baby spinach
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot such as a Dutch oven. Saute onion, carrot, celery and parsnip for 8-10 minutes over medium heat until the veggies soften.
- Add the salt and garlic and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant. Stir in the smoked paprika, fresh thyme and fresh rosemary and cook for a further minute.
- Next, stir in the chopped tomatoes, potatoes, lentils, bay leaves and stock. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are cooked to your liking.
- Add the baby spinach and put the lid back for a minute to allow it to wilt. Season with freshly ground black pepper and extra salt if needed and serve with your favourite crusty bread.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 281TOTAL FAT: 8gSATURATED FAT: 1gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 6gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 64mgCARBOHYDRATES: 47gFIBER: 11gSUGAR: 10gPROTEIN: 10g