Cooking Time: 35 mins
Servings 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 fist-size russet potato, cut into small cubes (about 7 ounces, or 198 g)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 to 2 teaspoons berbere, to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup (192 g) brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups (1.4 L) water, more if desired 1 tablespoon (16 g) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (18 g) vegetable bouillon paste, or 2 bouillon cubes
- Salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, and potato. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, berbere, turmeric, and lentils and cook and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the water, tomato paste, and bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.