Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Gruyere is a culinary masterpiece that combines the humble potato with the rich flavors of sweet caramelized onions and the nutty goodness of Gruyere cheese. The dish begins with the slow transformation of onions in a luscious blend of butter and olive oil, turning them into a golden, sweet symphony that adds layers of complexity to every bite. Thin slices of Yukon Gold potatoes form the heart of the dish, creating a comforting foundation for the medley of flavors that follow.
As the layers unfold in a generously greased baking dish, each tier introduces a new dimension of taste. Seasoned with a touch of garlic, the potatoes absorb the savory essence of the caramelized onions, creating a harmonious blend of sweetness and earthiness. The Gruyere, with its distinct nutty profile, weaves its way between the layers, melting into a creamy delight that binds the elements together. The marriage of heavy cream and broth bathes the dish in luxurious richness, ensuring a moist and tender texture that elevates the entire ensemble.
Baked to perfection, the Scalloped Potatoes emerge from the oven with a golden-brown crust, enticing aromas wafting through the air. Fresh thyme, delicately scattered on top, adds a final touch, enhancing both the visual appeal and the aromatic bouquet of the dish. As you serve this culinary creation, each spoonful unveils a delightful symphony of flavors – the creamy potatoes, the sweet and savory dance of caramelized onions, and the distinct nuttiness of Gruyere. Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Gruyere is not merely a side dish; it is a culinary experience that transforms a simple medley of ingredients into a celebration of taste and texture, perfect for any occasion.
Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions and Gruyere
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnish
1. Caramelized Onions:
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add thinly sliced onions and cook slowly until they become soft and caramelized, stirring occasionally. This process may take about 20-30 minutes.
2. Preheat Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
3. Prepare Potatoes:
- Peel and thinly slice the Yukon Gold potatoes. You can use a mandoline for uniform slices.
4. Layer Potatoes:
- In a greased baking dish, layer half of the sliced potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Spread half of the caramelized onions over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded Gruyere cheese on top.
5. Repeat Layers:
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining potatoes, caramelized onions, and Gruyere cheese.
6. Combine Cream and Broth:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and chicken or vegetable broth. Pour this mixture evenly over the layered potatoes.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, let the scalloped potatoes rest for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh thyme before serving.
- Scoop out servings, making sure to get some of the caramelized onions and Gruyere in each portion.