This Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup is the ultimate comfort food for the cold nights.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Servings: 6 Servings
- ▢Immersion Blender
- ▢7 Tomatoes medium
- ▢15 ounce Diced tomatoes canned – 1-15 oz can
- ▢1 Onion 1 medium finely chopped
- ▢3 cloves Garlic
- ▢3 tablespoon Olive oil
- ▢1 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- ▢Salt to taste
- ▢Pepper to taste
- ▢1 cup Fresh basil leaves chopped (loosely packed)
- ▢Parmesan cheese to garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a baking sheet lined with foil, lay the quartered tomatoes and the garlic cloves and drizzle about 2 tablespoon of olive oil over them.
- Add salt and pepper and give it a quick mix. Roast them for about 30 – 45 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, add the remaining oil and sauté the chopped onions until golden brown.
- Now add the canned tomatoes, roasted tomatoes with its juices and the basil and mix it well. Cook it for about 5-7 minutes and then add about 4 cups of water. Cook the mixture over medium low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and also add the crushed red pepper flakes.
- Get an immersion blender in and puree the whole mixture to the desired chunkiness. I left mine a little on the chunky side. If using a blender or a food processor, let the mixture cool down a bit and then puree it.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese if using!
Calories: 111kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 524mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1588IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg