Delicious low fat roasted red pepper and tomato soup in great for cozy up to in the fall or winter time.
Cuisine: American, British
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
▢3 medium sized sweet red bell peppers
▢6 large tomatoes
▢2 ½ cups of vegetable stock see post
▢1 large carrot chopped (or 2 small ones)
▢3 cloves of garlic peeled
▢1 medium onion chopped
▢1 celery stalk chopped
▢7 large fresh basil leaves or 1tbsp of dried basil
▢½ teaspoon of black pepper
▢½ teaspoon of himalayan pink salt
▢4 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 180C/356F
- Line a roasting pan with parchment paper, now arrange the chopped bell peppers and tomatoes on the pan before coating with 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Proceed to roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until slightly charred..
- In a medium sized saucepan pour in the other 2tbsp of oil then begin to saute the garlic and onions until translucent on medium heat
- Add the carrot and celery to the saucepan, cook for a further 2-3 minutes, ensure to stir and season the veggies with the pink salt and black pepper throughout the given time.
- Pour the stock into the pan along with the roasted tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan into a blender (or use an immersion stick) with the fresh basil leaves or dried basil, then blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan to heat (unless using a machine like the Vitamix which heats the soup) then serve accordingly
- Roasting the tomatoes and red peppers are key to imparting the full flavour of the veggies, albeit this may lengthen the actually cooking process (not by too much).
- However, I do strongly suggest roasting the vegetables to experience the depth of flavour in its entirety.
- I used my trusty homemade vegetable stock too, simply click to access the recipe.
- This is a freezer friendly recipe. so freeze the leftovers for another day.
- Double, triple or quadruple the batch to freeze and/or reheat at your leisure.
- Store the soup in your refrigerator and consume within 3-4 days.
- You are more than welcome to adjust the seasoning to taste (add more basil, black pepper or pink salt to taste)
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 904mg | Potassium: 723mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 7229IU | Vitamin C: 142mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg