Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time18 mins
Pressure Release Time18 mins
Course: Main Course, Mains
Cuisine: Middle eastern, Persian
- Instant Pot 6 qt
- 1/8 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp lemon zest zest from ½ a lemon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Sumac
- 1 tsp Kosher salt or to taste
- Combine all the ground spices under the spice mix list of ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
Making the soup
- Place the brown rice and lentils in a colander.
- Wash them under running water twice.
- Insert the inner pot into the Instant pot.
- Add the washed rice and lentils to the inner pot.
- Pour the stock in.
- Tip in the finely chopped garlic, onions and tomatoes.
- Mix well.
- Add the herbs and stir to combine.
- Tip in the spice mix and mix well.
- Add the grated lemon zest and stir well.
Instant Pot cooking time
- Ensure that the sealing ring has been inserted into the lid properly.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Switch on the Instant Pot
- Press PRESSURE COOK BUTTON- HIGH PRESSURE-15 MINUTES.
- Allow the cooking cycle to complete.
- When the cooking cycle is completed, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Open the lid and gently mash the lentils.
- If you find the soup too thick, add 1 cup water and mix.
- Turn on SAUTE MODE- NORMAL-3 mins.
- Allow the soup to simmer until the SAUTE cycle completes.
- When done, serve hot.
Nutritional values are given here as a courtesy. Please consult a diet and nutrition expert for further detailed information.
Instant Pot timings vary based on geographic location.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1091mg | Potassium: 485mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 630IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 3mg