You will never believe how easy it is to get so many flavors in these mushrooms. Pair it with any sauces you like, I love tahini sauce, hummus or even a simple garlic yogurt sauce and fresh veggies!
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- ¼ tsp-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Zest & Juice 1 Lemon
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 2 tbsp of the Spice Mix
- salt to taste
- 12 large oyster mushroom clusters
- olive or vegetable oil as needed
- Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Lebanese-style pita/flatbread
- Hot sauce (like harissa)
Quick & Easy Middle-Eastern-Style Salad
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ a Lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cucumber, diced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- optional: 1½ cup chickpeas
- salt to taste
- Prepare the middle eastern-style salad and place in the fridge: In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together 1 minced garlic clove, juice of ½ a Lemon, and 2 tbsp olive oil. Then add
- tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, chopped parsley, and chickpeas, if you are using. Toss everything together and season with salt to taste.
- In a small bowl mix together; garlic granules, 1 tsp salt, black pepper, ground cumin, smoked paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, ground coriander, a pinch of cinnamon, and cayenne pepper to your heat tolerance, and set aside.
- In another small bowl whisk together; ¼ cup olive oil, the zest & juice 1 lemon, maple syrup or agave, 2 tbsp of the Spice Mix we just created and salt to taste.
- Heat about 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 3-4 mushroom clusters, ensuring your pan isn’t crowded, and place a heavy cast iron pan on top of them. (ensure the cast iron pan fits inside your large pan so it is pressing on the mushrooms).
- Cook for 4 minutes, season with a bit of the seasoning mix, flip, and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Liberally season both sides of the mushrooms with the seasoning mix, remove them from the pan and set them on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining mushrooms.
- Preheat your oven to 400F, and place a foil-covered, oven-safe metal cooling rack inside of a lipped baking sheet. Then, using 1-3 skewers, layer the mushrooms clusters on top of each other, leaving space at the end of the skewer to place inside one of the open grids of the cooling rack. The cooling rack-covered tin foil should help the skewers stand up right.
- Drizzle some of the cooking sauce onto the mushrooms, and sprinkle with more of the spice mix.
- Roast the mushrooms in the preheated oven for 20-30 mins, brushing with cooking sauce every 10 minutes or so.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms and serve hot in a steamed pita with garlic yogurt sauce, middle-eastern style salad, tahini and hot sauce if you desire.
Serving size: 1 serving, approx 2 mushroom clusters Calories: 202.8 Fat: 10.1g Carbohydrates: 24.6g Sugar: 9.1g Fiber: 6.8g Protein: 9.8g