- ▢½ cup Rye flour
- ▢¾ cup Quick cooking Oats
- ▢¼ cup Wheat Bran
- ▢¼ cup Sesame seeds
- ▢¼ cup Sunflower seed
- ▢¼ cup Pumpkin seed
- ▢2 tablespoon Flax seeds
- ▢1 tablespoon Vegan Honey
- ▢¼ teaspoon Salt
- ▢1 ¼ cup Water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Layer a baking sheet completely with parchment.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients in the list except the honey and the water.
- In another bowl measure about a cup of water and warm it a bit. Add the honey to this water and mix to dissolve.
- Add the water to the flour / seed mixture and mix gently. The mixture should be a slightly wet thick batter. Add a little more water if needed. I waited about 5 minutes after the first mix, so that the oats can absorb a bit of water. If needed, then add a little more water to bring it to the right consistency.
- Pour this mixture on the prepared tray and spread it into a thin even layer using a spatula. Make sure that it is even as otherwise the cooking time will vary and the thinner part could get browned earlier.
- Place the tray in the oven and let it bake for 10 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven and makes marks with a knife to slice them. This will help to break apart the crisp breads after the are completely baked.
- Place the tray back in oven and let it bake for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until it is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the Norwegian Crisp Bread | Knekkebrød from the oven and let it cool down on a rack. Break it apart and store it in an airtight container. It will remain good for weeks
- Expert tips and FAQ’s
- The seeds can be mixed and matched depending on your liking and availability.
- If vegan, skip the honey and use maple syrup.
- Make sure the batter/ dough is not too wet. This will increase the baking time.
- Spreading the batter evenly ensures that the crisp bread bakes and browns evenly. Otherwise it will become brown in the edges too quickly.
- This crisp bread stays good for weeks in room temperature. This is a best snack to carry for hikes for a burst of energy.
- Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg
Leave a Reply