PREP TIME: 30 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
New Vegan Shepherd’s Pie (Gardener’s Pie) 🌱 A deliciously elevated plant-based version of a classic comfort dish. Filled with mushrooms, lentils, onions, carrots & peas in a rich gravy and topped with mashed potatoes and cauliflower. Hearty, healthy & oh-so satisfying!
- 4 qt or larger dutch oven
- 3 qt saucepan
- Cutting board
- kitchen knife
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Mesh strainer
- 4 oven-proof 8 oz (1 cup) ramekins
- ▢1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- ▢1 lb mushrooms button or cremini – thinly sliced
- ▢1 small leek thinly sliced
- ▢2-3 cloves garlic minced
- ▢2 large carrots peeled & diced in ¾” cubes
- ▢½ C lentils green or brown – rinsed
- ▢1-¼ C vegetable broth
- ▢10 oz potatoes Russet or Yukon Gold – peeled/cubed
- ▢1-½ C cauliflower roughly chopped florets
- ▢1 tablespoon vegan butter
- ▢½ C non-dairy milk rice or soy
- ▢1-½ tbsp flour sifted
- ▢4 oz stout beer optional *🥕See notes below
- ▢1 tomato peeled/seeded/chopped
- ▢¾ C green peas fresh, frozen, or canned
- ▢½ teaspoon rosemary fresh – finely chopped or dried** 🥕See notes below
- ▢¼ teaspoon oregano fresh – finely chopped or dried**🥕See notes below
- ▢¼ teaspoon sage fresh – finely chopped or dried**🥕See notes below
- ▢1 teaspoon parsley fresh – finely chopped or dried**🥕See notes below
- ▢½ teaspoon thyme fresh – finely chopped or dried** 🥕See notes below
- ▢1 teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon black pepper fresh ground
- Pour olive oil into a 4 qt Dutch oven or heavy bottom sauce pan. Begin heating on stove at medium-high temperature.
- Add leek, garlic, and mushrooms. Stir in ¼ teaspoon salt & ¼ teaspoon pepper. Sauté until tender, stirring frequently. Adjust heat as needed to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add carrots, lentils and broth. Increase heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Preheat oven at 425°
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine flour with 4 oz Stout (* or ½ C water with 1 teaspoon vegan bouillon)
- Pour into veggies and lentils, add tomatoes & peas. Stir until slightly thickened. Add herbs, thoroughly combine.
- Spoon lentils/veggie mixture into ramekins.
- Spoon mashed potato/cauliflower on top.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet (to catch liquid that may bubble over)
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes become slightly browned.
- Allow Shepherd’s Pies to set for 10 – 15 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with a sprig of thyme or diced scallion.
- MASHED POTATO & CAULIFLOWER TOPPING
- In a 3 qt or larger saucepan, cover potatoes and cauliflower in water & ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover, place on high until boiling. Lower heat to a rolling simmer until tender – approx 15 -20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and throughly drain.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, cauliflower, 1 tablespoon vegan butter, ½ teaspoon salt. Using a hand masher or electric mixer, begin mashing potatoes and cauliflower. Gradually add milk, a few tablespoons at a time, until desired consistency.
🥕* The traditional version of this dish often includes Stout beer as a liquid ingredient, which adds its own unique flavor. If you prefer not to use Stout or other beer, simply replace with ½ C hot water combined with ½ teaspoon vegan bouillon.
🥕 ** Dried herbs often have a more concentrated, stronger flavor than fresh. If you use dried herbs, you might want to slightly decrease the amount you use to suit your taste.
Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 728mg | Potassium: 1256mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 7130IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 6mg