- ▢½ cup walnuts
- ▢1 shallot minced
- ▢½ pound mushrooms washed, dried, and sliced
- ▢1 tablespoon olive oil
- ▢⅛ teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice powder or cinnamon
- ▢kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F/165 degrees C. When the oven is hot, put the walnuts in a pan, put them in the oven, and toast until fragrant, shaking occasionally, around 7 minutes. Transfer to a shallow bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the oil and the shallot in a skillet and turn the heat to medium high. Sprinkle with a little salt. When the shallot starts to sizzle, add the mushrooms and Five-Spice powder (or cinnamon), season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and browned, around 8 minutes.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to a food processor, add the walnuts, and process until you have a smooth pate. Transfer to a bowl and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Don’t want to use walnuts? Any kind of nut will work in this recipe. Toast the other nuts in the oven the same way you’d toast the walnuts. Vegan mushroom pâte can be made with different herbs and spices, although we highly recommend trying it with the Chinese Five-Spice or cinnamon.
- Serving: 2tablespoons Calories: 72kcal Carbohydrates: 2g Protein: 2g Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 1g Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g Monounsaturated Fat: 2g Sodium: 2mg Potassium: 134mgFiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Vitamin A: 2IU Vitamin C: 1mg Calcium: 10mgIron: 1mg