- ▢2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ▢2 lemons juiced
- ▢⅔ cup drippy tahini
- ▢½ teaspoon baking soda
- ▢½ teaspoon salt
- ▢2 cloves garlic
- ▢1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ▢⅓ cup ice cold water
- ▢1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves for garnish
- ▢¼ cup olive oil
- ▢2-3 cloves garlic
- ▢¼ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- Boil chickpeas in water with ½ teaspoon baking soda for 20-30 minutes, until soft. Drain.
- Reserve 1.5 cup whole chickpeas and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor place the remaining cooked chickpeas, lemon juice, crushed garlic cloves, tahini, salt and cumin. Blend until smooth.
- While the food processor is going pour in the ice cold water in a slow stream.
- Transfer the dip into a bowl and stir in the reserved whole chickpeas.
- Serve drizzled with warm garlic oil (recipe below), chopped fresh parsley leaves and more whole chickpeas.
Warm Garlic Oil
- Place olive oil in a small saucepan together with fresh garlic slices.
- Bring the oil to a low simmer and cook for a couple minutes watching the garlic. It’s supposed to brown but it’s easy to burn so make sure the heat is very low.
- Once the garlic is golden brown add whole coriander seeds, lemon peel and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook for another 30-60 seconds or so, just to toast.
- Take the oil off the heat and let cool slightly before topping your hummus.
If you’re not a big fresh garlic taste lover, start with 1 clove of garlic instead of 2-3.
If you don’t make warm garlic oil, drizzle the hummus with good quality extra virgin olive oil instead.
If you want chunkier texture, reserve more whole chickpeas, 2 cups or so.
The cooked chickpeas should be very soft. Mushy and peeling is fine! Nutritional information below is approximate and includes musabaha hummus only (without garnishes).
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 86IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg