- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
This Mulligatawny Soup is a delicious curry soup recipe! You will love my easy, meatless vegan version! It’s super healthy and spices, vegetables, lentils, rice, coconut milk and lemon juice. It’s ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon oil, (optional)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped small
- 2 medium carrots, diced small or grated
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetarian Better than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken Soup Base, there is an organic veggie variety available but I have not tried it.
- 1/4 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 1/4 cup white rice, rinsed well ( I use basmati rice)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice,(approximately 1/2 a lemon)
OPTIONAL TOPPINGS (SEE NOTES BELOW)
- diced fresh tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges
- mango chutney
- Set your soup pot to medium heat and add the oil ( or broth or water), chopped onions and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often for 5-7 minutes, until onions are softening and slightly caramelizing. Next add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes until veggies are softening. Now stir in the dried thyme and spices.
- Lastly add the rest of the soup ingredients and bring the soup to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with my Homemade Easy Vegan Naan or your favourite Indian Bread and the optional toppings listed above, if you like and Enjoy!
- This soup is absolutely delicious as is!! but I like to add a wee bit of mango chutney to my soup ( 1/2 teaspoon, a little goes a long way!!) and a few diced tomatoes, a little chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon. So delicious!
- If I don’t make my Vegan Naan bread there are Indian style breads ( like naan, roti and paratha) at Walmart in the frozen section. They are super cheap and very tasty!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups, Gluten free,
- Method: Stovetop
Serves 6Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 143
Total Fat 7.1g 9% 0%Cholesterol 0mg11%Sodium 246.3mg6%Total Carbohydrate 16.7gSugars 3.2g8%Protein 3.8g