Mixed Bean and Vegetable Stew
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper diced
- 3 ribs of celery sliced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 small zucchinis sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano optional
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1 medium head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of diced tomatoes, in their juices
- 1 (15oz) can of white beans
- 1 (15oz) can of red kidney beans
- 1 (15oz) can of black beans
- 1 (15oz) can of garbanzo beans
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can of corn kernels, drained optional
- 1 (6-ounce) can of tomato paste
- 3 cups of vegetable or no-chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and zucchini, and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano (if using), cayenne pepper (if using), and bay leaf (if using), and saute for another minute.
- Add broccoli, a can of tomatoes, all the beans, corn (if using), tomato paste, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 25 mins.
- Don’t skip the simmer stage: Like most stews, this bean and veggie stew requires a low and slow simmer to properly meld and develop the flavors. If you try to rush the process, it won’t taste ‘right,’ and certain flavors can seem overwhelming (usually the tomatoes). So don’t speed up this process!
- For a thicker/thinner stew: Adjust the amount of broth you add to the dish. Alternatively, you could add a small amount of cornstarch (in a slurry) to the vegetable stew to thicken it.
- Calories: 592kcal Carbohydrates: 103g Protein: 33g Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 2g Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g Monounsaturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 1g Sodium: 925mg Potassium: 2220mg Fiber: 29g Sugar: 18g Vitamin A: 5226IU Vitamin C: 126mg Calcium: 253mg Iron: 12mg