It was making one of my family’s favorite Take-out at home. This Taco Bell style Mexican Pizza (Vegetarian recipe) is so quick to make and can be enjoyed anytime at home without having to drive over to Taco Bell.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 4 Pizza
- 8 Tortilla I used fajita size flour tortillas
- 1 can Refried Beans Vegetarian ( 14 oz)
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend
- ½ cup Enchilada sauce
- 2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 Spring onions thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper Optional (deseeded and finely chopped)
- Oil for spraying the pans
TO CRISP THE TORTILLA –
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Heat a griddle/pan on the stovetop. When the pan is hot, drizzle/spray some cooking oil and fry the tortilla, flipping often.
- Once the tortilla starts to brown, place it on a baking sheet and place it in the oven. Flip a couple of times and let it further cook until they are crispy. It took a couple of minutes for me to completely crisp them.
- You could do this entirely in the oven, but I felt that took longer to crisp. This method of partially cooking it on the stovetop and then finishing in the oven was quicker.
- Repeat the same with all the tortillas and keep them ready.
ASSEMBLING AND BAKING THE MEXICAN PIZZA –
- Do not turn off the oven yet. We will be using it to bake the pizzas after assembling.
- Remove the refried beans from the can and place it in a heatproof bowl. Heat the beans until it is warm and easily spreadable. I warmed mine for about a minute in the microwave.
- Chop the tomatoes, spring onions, and jalapenos (if using) and keep it ready.
- Place a crisp tortilla on the work surface. Spoon about ¼ of the beans in the center and spread it.
- Cover the beans with another tortilla.
- Spread about a tablespoon of enchilada sauce over the top tortilla.
- Top with ¼ cup of cheese.
- Layer the tomatoes, spring onions, and jalapeno over the cheese.
- Place it in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove it from the oven and let it rest for a couple of minutes before slicing.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 1230mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1046IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 279mg | Iron: 3mg