- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 potatoes)
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond or other plant-based milk, warm, plus more if needed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives (about 1/4 a small bunch), plus more for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the garlic on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the oil, wrap and roast until very tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover by 1 inch with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Strain and return the potatoes to the saucepan.
Add the roasted garlic with any juice that has collected, almond milk, remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt to the potatoes. Mash with a potato masher until smooth or to the desired consistency, adding additional almond milk if necessary. Stir in the chives and add salt to taste. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl, garnish with additional chives and serve.