Maharashtrian Style Puran Poli, a flatbread filled with sweet lentil filling. This is a very famous festival recipe and perfect for the coming Pongal / Makar Sankranti festival.
Diet: Vegetarian Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesResting time: 1 hourTotal Time: 1 hour Servings: 10 serving Calories: 212kcal
For the filling –
▢¾ Cup Chana dal / Kadalai paruppu
▢1 cup Jaggery
▢¼ cup Sugar
▢½ teaspoon Cardamom powder
▢Nutmeg powder a pinch
For the outer covering –
▢11/2 Whole wheat flour
▢¼ cup All Purpose flour / Maida
▢2 tablespoon Oil plus more to grease the poli
▢1 teaspoon Salt
To make the filling –
- Wash the chana dal well under running water and cook it in pressure cooker or stove top until the lentils are well cooked but not mushy. Chana dal is the easiest as it does not mush up as quickly as the other lentils. Once the lentils are cooked, drain them in a colander. Save this drained water to make the dough for the outer covering. The perfect texture is when we can easily crush the dal between our fingers.
- Mash the cooked chana dal well and add it to a heavy bottom pan along with the jaggery and sugar. Keep it on low heat and mix well. The jaggery and sugar will melt and the whole mixture will liquefy. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens.
- The perfect consistency is when the mixture is hard enough to hold a spoon standing. Add the cardamom powder and the nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Let the filling / puran cool completely. You will notice that the puran solidifies further when cooling.
To make the dough –
- Combine the flours and salt in a wide bowl. Add the oil and mix it well with the flour. Slowly add water as needed to make a soft dough.
- Add a little more oil at the end and let the dough rest for 1 to 2 hours.
- To shape and cook the Puran Poli –
- Divide the dough and the filling into 8 to 10 balls, depending on what size you want the poli to be.
- Roll the dough to about 4 inch circle and place a ball of filling in the center. Form a pouch and seal the edges well.
- Flatten and dust the dough with some flour and roll it into a thin circle. Keep dusting more flour as you go to prevent sticking.
- Cook the poli on a hot pan. Drizzle some oil as both the sides and cook until brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Remove it on a tray and keep it covered with a kitchen cloth until ready to serve.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Serve warm with a dollop of ghee.
- Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 233mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 26g | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1mg
Leave a Reply