Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 2cups sliced almonds
- ⅓cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 to 4 lemons)
- Kosher salt
- 1½cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 4cloves garlic, crushed with the flat side of a knife, peeled and
- left whole
- 10 to 12ounces washed and dried kale leaves, thick stems
- removed (weight after trimming)
- 1½cups freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
In a toaster oven or skillet, toast almonds until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside
In a bowl, combine lemon juice and 1 heaping teaspoon salt. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
Add garlic cloves and set aside to steep.
Working in batches, cut the kale into thin ribbons: gather a large handful of leaves,
bunch together tightly, and use the other hand to slice into ¼-inch-thick pieces. This
need not be done very precisely or neatly; the idea is to end up with a kind of slaw.
(Recipe can be made up to this point 1 day ahead. Keep kale and dressing
Place chopped kale in a very large bowl. Sprinkle surface with almonds and then with
cheese, if using. Remove and discard garlic cloves from dressing. Pour half the
dressing over the salad and toss. Taste for dressing and salt and add more as
needed, tossing to coat thoroughly. Serve within 1 hour.
Leave a Reply