Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Yield: 6 servings
This hearty Latin style lentil soup is loaded with lentils, veggies and most importantly a little Latin flare. An easy to put together!.
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced into coins)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 2 red potatoes (cubed)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp sazón
- 1/2 tsp adobo seasoning
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful cilantro (optional, but highly recommended)
- In a large pot over medium heat, add 2 tsp olive oil, onions, carrots and celery.
- Sauté until onions are softened. Add in potatoes and again stir to combine.
- Stir in garlic and ginger, and continue to sauté until fragrant.
- To the pot, add in tomatoes, adobo and sazón and stir well.
- Add in your lentils, vegetable broth, thyme, roughly chopped cilantro and oregano, stir and raise up heat to bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid.
- Continue to simmer lentils for another 30 minutes or until lentils are fully cooked.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves then serve. Feel free to add more adobo seasoning if you need just a little more flavor.
Leave a Reply