Kapusniak holds a very special place in my heart. My Polish heritage pours love and tradition into making this Polish Sauerkraut Soup.
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME50 minutes
TOTAL TIME1 hour
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups Frank’s Kraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 pound Polska Kielbasa, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups white potatoes, diced
- 2 (32 ounce) containers chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 small onion, diced
Hands Free Mode:
Prevent screen from sleepingOnOff
- In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, add oil and onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes, then add in kielbasa, kraut and caraway seeds. Cook for about 5 minutes more. Add in carrots, celery and potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add in chicken stock, cover. When it comes to a boil, turn heat down to medium low. Cook covered for about 30 minutes, or until veggies are desired tenderness.
- Salt and Pepper to taste. Serve hot with a slice of rye bread.
- NUTRITION INFORMATION:
- SERVING SIZE:
- Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 467TOTAL FAT: 37gSATURATED FAT: 13gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 21gCHOLESTEROL: 75mgSODIUM: 1806mgCARBOHYDRATES: 17gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 4gPROTEIN: 16g