Jackfruit wraps are perfect for lunch meal prep and are so easy to make. It’s packed full with healthy goodness and comes with a spicy kick.
Course: LunchCuisine: Fusion, Jamaican Prep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 30 minutesTotal Time: 35 minutes Servings: 6 Calories: 348kcal
- ▢275 g sweet potato – peeled and cut into wedges
- ▢560 g tin of young jackfruit – drained weight 250g, drained and rinsed
- ▢3 teaspoons jerk seasoning
- ▢400 g kidney beans – 1 tin, drained weight 250g
- ▢1 baby gem lettuce – roughly chopped
- ▢3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- ▢1 tablespoon lime juice
- ▢6 roti or paratha roti
- ▢Salt & pepper to taste
- ▢½ tablespoon Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/190c.
- Toss the sweet potato wedges in the olive oil with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Optionally, omit the oil or use an oil spray instead, for a low oil or no oil option.275 g sweet potato,½ tablespoon Olive oil,Salt & pepper
- Put the wedges on a baking tray and chuck in the oven for 15 minutes – turn them halfway through.
- While the wedges are in the oven, heat up a splash of olive oil in a large pan and then add the jackfruit.560 g tin of young jackfruit
- Coat with the jerk seasoning. Cook for around 25 minutes, stirring to prevent it from sticking.3 teaspoons jerk seasoning
- Grab a couple of forks and gently pull apart the jackfruit until it’s shredded. If it’s a bit tough still, give it a couple more minutes to soften up before you pull it apart.
- Add the kidney beans to the jackfruit and gently heat for a couple of minutes while stirring. Give it a quick taste and add more jerk seasoning if needed.400 g kidney beans
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo with the lime juice and a good helping of black pepper.3 tablespoons vegan mayo,1 tablespoon lime juice
- When everything is ready, start putting the wraps together – add a good dollop of mayo, a couple of sweet potato wedges, ⅙ of the jackfruit mix and a handful of lettuce to each roti and wrap them up like a burrito.1 baby gem lettuce,6 roti
- Take each roti and layer with the fillings. Start with a bit of the lime mayo, then add the sweet potato wedges, followed by the jackfruit and kidney beans.
- It will last a five days in airtight containers in the fridge.
- We don’t add salt and pepper to the jackfuit as jerk seasoning contains enough of both.
- Try swapping kidney beans for black beans or black eyed beans.
- Low carb? No problem. Try serving it as a bowl – with cauliflower rice and salad.
- Make sure to buy young jackfruit in brine or water! Fully ripe jackfruit is sweet and often sold in syrup.
- We’re not claiming this is a traditional ‘jerk’ recipe, but instead is inspired by the jerk seasoning.
Calories: 348kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 535mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 6814IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3mg