This creamy wild rice soup is easy to make and delicious! Made with easy to find ingredients, it’s a cozy and comforting soup is perfect one pot meal.
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME25 mins
TOTAL TIME35 mins
- ▢1 cup uncooked wild rice
- ▢8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- ▢1 small white onion peeled and diced
- ▢3 cloves garlic minced
- ▢1 cup diced carrots
- ▢1 cup diced celery
- ▢1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- ▢4 cups vegetable stock or water
- ▢1 Tablespoon Italian or Old Bay seasoning
- ▢1 can 14 oz. coconut milk
- ▢1 cup packed baby spinach – roughly chopped
- ▢salt ground black pepper, chili pepper flakes
INSTANT POT (PRESSURE COOKER) METHOD:
- Press SAUTE. Add oil to the main steel insert of Instant Pot. Let the oil heat up for a minute. Add onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes until onions become soft and translucent.
- Add vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, sweet potato and seasoning in the pot. Stir briefly to combine. Cancel SAUTE.
- Put the lid on. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and choose (high pressure) for 20 minutes. After it’s done cooking, let the Instant Pot go to keep the KEEP WARM for 10 minutes. Then carefully remove the leftover pressure by a quick release method. Open the lid.
- Add the coconut milk and spinach to the soup, and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt and black pepper and red pepper flakes as needed. Serve warm and enjoy!
CROCK-POT (SLOW COOKER) METHOD:
- Combine vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, celery, sweet potato, onion, and seasoning in the bowl of a large slow cooker. Stir briefly to combine, then place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Slow cook. Cook on high for 1 to 2 hours, until the rice is cooked and tender. (cooking times can vary a lot between different brands of slow cookers. So check the rice at 1 hour and then every 20 minutes afterwards ) You may have to add more liquid if it looks too dry.
- Once rice is fully cooked and tender, add the coconut milk and spinach to the soup, and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt and black pepper and red pepper flakes ( optional) as needed. Turn off the slow cooker. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Sauté the veggies. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add in the vegetable stock, wild rice, mushrooms, carrots, celery, sweet potato, and seasoning. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk and spinach to the soup, and stir gently until combined. Taste and season with salt, black pepper and red chili flakes( if using ) as needed. Serve warm and enjoy!
Serving: 1cupCalories: 173kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 5gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 901mgFiber: 4gSugar: 6g