This easy, hearty and delicious Instant Pot Tortellini soup is loaded with flavorful Italian sausage, cheesy tortellini, and fresh spinach. It is like a cozy bowl of comfort which is just perfect to warm you up during these cold winter nights!
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME40 mins
TOTAL TIME50 mins
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1
- 1 to 1.25 lbs lean hot Italian sausage, casings removed, you may substitute with sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion diced finely
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons Better than Bouillon chicken stock base dissolved in 4 cups of hot water, or 1-quart, less-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 9 oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 oz baby spinach, can add more if you like
- 3/4th to 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Grated parmesan cheese, as required, optional
If you prefer a more tomato-ey flavored soup, feel free to double the tomato sauce. You can also add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste or simply use a 24 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce.
You can also throw in a 28-oz can of diced tomatoes with juices if you prefer a chunky tomato tortellini soup.
If you’d like to add chicken, you can add in about 2-3 cups of diced, rotisserie chicken in the last step, or add about 1 lb of chicken breasts/thighs in step 4 and increase the pressure cooking time to 8 minutes. After the cooking cycle has completed, you can shred the chicken and add it to the soup in the last step.
Stove-top version: Use a heavy-bottomed pot or dutch pot, follow steps 1-4, bring the soup to a boil, cover the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then follow steps 7-10.You can use fresh herbs in lieu of dried. Throw in a few sprigs of rosemary, and thyme in step 4. Finish off the soup with a sprinkle of fresh basil leaves.
Nutrition values are calculated for a single serving. This recipe should yield about 4 servings. These are approximate nutrition values, if you rely on them for your diet, please use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Measuring cup used, 1 cup= 250 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
Calories: 583kcalCarbohydrates: 46.8gProtein: 30gFat: 32.2gSaturated Fat: 6.4gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 2560mgPotassium: 520mgFiber: 2.7gSugar: 8.9gCalcium: 74mgIron: 4mg