These garlic mushrooms are incredibly flavorful. You can serve these with pasta, over mashed potatoes, over grilled cauliflower or vegetables, or any way you like. Glutenfree Nutfree Soyfree, Stovetop option
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time16 mins
Inactive time10 mins
Total Time41 mins
Keyword: garlic mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 16 oz (453.59 g) quartered mushrooms, white, cremini or baby portobella
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or rosemary or basil or you can add half of each if you want it more herbed flavor
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or use 1 teaspoon yellow miso
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) or more water or broth as needed
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp water
- Start the instant pot on saute, Once the pot is hot add the butter, let it melt, then add the garlic and onion and a good pinch of salt and cook until the onion is translucent. 3-5 mins
- If the onion is starting to turn too brown too quickly on some edges, add splashes of water to deglaze and continue cooking.
- Then add in the balsamic vinegar, mix in and switch off the saute. Add the mushrooms, herbs, nutritional yeast, salt, black pepper.
- Mix well. Add 1/4 cup water. If you are using a larger instant pot like an 8 qt, then add 1/3 cup water. Mix, Close the lid. Press Pressure cook. Set pressure cooking time to 16 minutes for high pressure. Then let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then quick release. Open the lid.
- Add the cornstarch slurry of 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons of water and mix into the mushrooms. Start sauté mode and bring it to a boil to thicken. Carefully Taste and adjust Salt and flavor.
- (You can also add 1/4-1/3 cup thick cashew cream or non dairy cream instead of the cornstarch slurry. Bring to a boil and Taste and adjust salt and flavor.)Then switch off the saute. Transfer the mushrooms to your serving dish.
- Top it with some fresh herbs like fresh basil or parsley. Serve with pasta, over mashed potatoes , over vegan meatloaf or cauliflower steak.
- stovetop: after the third step, sauté the mushroom over medium for 5-7 mins, deglazing as needed. Then add 1/3 to 1/2 cup water/cream and cover and cook for 15-30 mins(depending on size of mushroom, pan etc)
- To make this extra delicious, deglaze the sauteed mushrooms with white wine instead of water.
- Oilfree: Sauté in 2-3 tablespoons broth. Deglaze with more broth as needed and proceed
- No onion garlic: add 1/4 teaspoon more oregano. If you have asafetida, add a pinch of that. For the onion, use peeled and sliced zucchini or sliced fennel. Add 1/2 teaspoon miso.
- PIP(pot in pot) Mashed potatoes: cube the potatoes and add to a steamer basket right above the mushroom. Open the lid, remove the steamer. Mash the potatoes and add non dairy milk, herbs, salt as needed.
Instant Pot Garlic Mushrooms
Amount Per Serving
Calories 85Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Vitamin A 10IU0%
Vitamin C 5mg6%
Leave a Reply