This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a easy one-pot recipe ready in under 30 minutes and is better than any take out!!! Creamy comfort in a bowl, perfect for winter nights.
PREP TIME 10 mins
COOK TIME 10 mins
TOTAL TIME 20 mins
SERVINGS 4 -6
- ▢4 cups broccoli, coarsely chopped (around 24 oz)
- ▢3/4 cup carrot, medium shredded
- ▢8 oz block, extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ▢3 cups broth
- ▢1 cup heavy cream
- ▢2 tablespoon oil
- ▢2 tablespoon butter
- ▢1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- ▢1/4 cup flour (For gluten-free see the recipe notes)
- ▢1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ▢1/2 teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper
- ▢pinch of nutmeg
- ▢salt to taste
Instructions for Instant Pot Cooking:
- Turn on Instant Pot on saute mode (high). When it displays “HOT” add oil, butter. When butter melts, add garlic, saute for 30 seconds. Add flour, saute for 2-3 minutes.Note: For gluten-free, see the recipe notes.
- Whisk in broth, making sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Add broccoli, carrots, garlic powder, nutmeg. Mix well. Cover the Instant pot and lock the lid. Make sure valve is in “sealing”. Note: Using a cheese grater, fine grate nutmeg couple of time.
- Set Instant Pot on Manual/Pressure Cook mode (high) for 0 minutes. Let pressure release naturally, around 5 minutes.Note: “ZERO” minutes is NOT a typo!!
- After 5 minutes, move the valve to “venting”, carefully open the lid. Set Instant Pot to saute mode (high), let the soup come to a gentle boil. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add cream, cheddar cheese, crushed black pepper, mix well. Let the cheese melt completely, around 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning – salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowl and garnish with some extra cheese and serve!
- How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup gluten-free? – checkout the discusion earlier in the post.
- Tips – checkout the discussion earlier in the post.
- Reheat the soup on a low heat. Dairy(cream, cheese) if heated on high heat, might start to separate, leaving with an undesirable texture.
- How to store and freeze the soup?-checkout the discussion earlier in the post.
- Instructions for Stove Top Cooking: Follow the same recipe, except instead of pressure cooking, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat cover and cook for 3-5 mins or until veggies are soft. Rest is same as Instant pot.
Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.