Tender beef and potatoes in a beefy broth seasoned with paprika.
prep time 30 minutes
cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
total time 2 hours
servings 6 servings
- ▢2 medium onions
- ▢2 teaspoons butter or lard (preferred)
- ▢1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- ▢2 tablespoons paprika
- ▢¼ cup flour
- ▢1 ½ pound stewing beef trimmed and cut into 1″ cubes
- ▢2 cups beef broth or water
- ▢1 cup diced tomatoes canned
- ▢1 teaspoon salt
- ▢¼ teaspoon pepper
- ▢1 ½ cup carrots optional
- ▢3 cups potatoes optional
- In a large pot, melt butter and add onion. Cook till translucent. Stir in caraway seeds and paprika and mix well.
- In a bowl, dredge the stew beef with flour. Add beef to the onion mixture and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add about ¼ cup of the beef broth to lift the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Then add remaining broth, diced tomatoes (potatoes and carrots if using), salt and pepper.
- Stir and bring to a boil, cover, then reduce to a simmer for about 1 ½ -2 hours or until tender.
- nutrition information
- Calories: 427 | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 662mg | Potassium: 1188mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6585IU | Vitamin C: 20.5mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 7mg