A wholesome mushroom and lentil pie in a rich and full-bodied gravy. Then topped with creamy mashed potatoes!
Prep Time:50 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American, Canadian
Servings: 8 Servings
- ▢3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled (if desired) and quartered
- ▢½ cup soy milk or plant milk or choice
- ▢sea salt to taste
- ▢1 cup brown lentils or 3 cups cooked or canned
- ▢4 cups water for cooking the lentils if you’re not using canned (you may also use broth for added flavour)
- ▢1 yellow onion diced
- ▢2 carrots peeled + diced
- ▢2 ribs celery diced
- ▢4 cloves garlic peeled + minced
- ▢8 ounce mushrooms sliced
- ▢2 cups vegetable broth
- ▢¼ cup white whole wheat flour or brown rice flour for gluten free
- ▢1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ▢¼ cup red wine
- ▢¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ▢¼ teaspoon dried sage
- If you have an Instant Pot you may use this Instant Pot method to make your mashed potatoes.If you don’t have an Instant Pot, add your quartered potatoes to a pot and fill with salted water, covering 1 inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, and then lower heat to maintain a low boil and cook until fork-tender. Approx. 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Mash them using a potato masher, add the milk and mix well. Taste for salt, add more if necessary, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, sort through your lentils, discarding any small rocks, and rinse them well in a colander. Then place the lentils with 4 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt (or use broth for added flavour) in a small saucepot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-22 minutes. Don’t overcook your lentils as they’ll continue cooking in the oven. Drain and set aside.
- Use a large, deep pan to sauté the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic until soft, approx. 7-10 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook until reduced, approx. 5 more minutes.
- While the veggies are sauteéing, use a bowl or large measuring cup to whisk together the 2 cups of broth, flour, balsamic, red wine, thyme, and sage. Then pour it into the pan with the sautéed veggies. Cook, stirring often until your gravy is slightly thickened, approx. 5 minutes.
Assembly + Bake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then transfer the cooked lentils and sautéed vegetables with the gravy to your casserole dish and mix well. Top with the mashed potatoes and use a fork to create a crisscross pattern, if desired. This will make the top layer crispier when baking. (See process shots above.)
- Bake your pie for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Then remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes before serving.
Don’t overcook your lentils as they’ll continue cooking in the oven and you don’t want them to turn to mush.
Use broth over water to cook your lentils and your potatoes for added depth of flavour.
For the wine (if using), make sure to use a good quality wine that you enjoy. If you don’t like the flavour for drinking, it’s not good enough for cooking with, either.
Store leftovers in your refrigerator for 3-4 days.
You may freeze an entire pie before baking if made in advance. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bake covered in foil for 30-40 minutes, removing the paper for the last 5-10 minutes to brown the top.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 97mg | Potassium: 1176mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2639IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 4mg