– 3 cups cooked rice (used glutinous rice or sub with other rice)
– about 15-20 cabbage leaves
– 3/4 cup kale stems, finely chopped (or use broccoli stem)
– 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped – optional (used mini King Oyster mushrooms)
– 1 small carrot, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
– oil for cooking, salt to taste
– Seasoning (see step): 1 tablespoon soy sauce/tamari, pepper, 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, salt & pepper to taste
Sauce (optional, cabbage wraps can be served as is): Whisk together 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari,1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 tablespoon mirin, 1 chopped Thai chilis (optional) salt & pepper in 1/2 cup water until well combined.
To make the filling, heat a non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon oil, sauté ginger until fragrant, add mushrooms, cook for 1-2mins. Add kale stems & continue to cook for about 30 secs, turn off the heat.
Transfer mixture to a bowl, then add carrots, cooked rice & mix well with seasoning ingredients. Taste test
Bring a pot of water to boil, blanch cabbage leaves for about 45secs. Remove & quickly plunge them in icy water to stop the cooking. (If you have a small cabbage, my stories on how I cook mine.)