This simplified Thai green curry tofu is inspired by more authentic recipes and made with ingredients you can find at your regular grocery store. Tofu green curry comes together in 1 pan in 30 minutes,. With your favorite veggies, rich coconut milk, and spicy green curry paste, it’s flavor-packed and sure to become an instant favorite! Gluten-free, oil-free option.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- ▢4 to 6 tablespoons green curry paste See Notes; I use 1 whole (4 oz) can Maesri.
- ▢1 tablespoon oil, optional
- ▢1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ▢6 ounces mushrooms, sliced such as shiitake (remove woody stems), baby bella, or white button
- ▢4 large cloves garlic, minced
- ▢1 small thumb-size piece ginger root, peeled and zested
- ▢1 2-inch piece lemongrass, optional, outer layer removed, zested or about 1 teaspoon lemongrass paste
- ▢14 to 16 ounces super-firm tofu, patted dry and cubed or extra-firm tofu, pressed
- ▢1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ▢1 large broccoli crown, cut into small florets, or cauliflower about 6 ounces
- ▢2 handfuls fresh snow peas about 3 ounces
- ▢1 (14 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- ▢1 (14 oz) can lite coconut milk
- ▢scant 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or corn starch
- ▢1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ▢lime zest and juice
- ▢cooked rice, lime, and cilantro
- Once you begin cooking things move quickly. So it helps to have everything prepped and ready to go. Preheat a large, high-sided skillet or saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the oil, if using, and green curry paste. Stirring frequently, cook for about 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium and add the onion and mushrooms. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass, if using, and cubed tofu. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the red pepper, broccoli, and snow peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add the zest of half of a lime to the pan.
- Add the can of full-fat coconut milk to the pan. Next, add about half of the can of lite coconut milk. Dissolve the starch in the can with the remaining lite coconut milk. Add this to the pan, and bring to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Serve with rice, fresh cilantro and lime.
Amount of curry paste
Green curry is meant to be a spicy dish, but you can always reduce the heat by using less curry paste, and choosing the Thai Kitchen brand over the more traditional Maesri paste. Serving with plenty of rice doesn’t hurt either!
For our tastes, using the entire 4 oz. can of Maesri is the perfect amount of curry paste for the volume of this recipe; it’s flavorful but not overly spicy or salty. However, salt and spice are very subjective! You may want to start with less if you prefer milder flavors.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. May also be frozen.
Leave a Reply