Garlic Cheese Naan is super soft and chewy, flavorful homemade flatbread recipe that is cheesy, garlicky and buttery. The minced garlic and melted cheese in every single bite makes this naan bread simply irresistible.
COOK TIME30 mins
RESTING TIME2 hrs
TOTAL TIME2 hrs 30 mins
COURSEAppetizer, Breakfast, Dinner, Entree, Lunch, Main Course
CUISINEIndian, Italian, Mediterranean, north indian
SERVINGS 8 Naan breads
- ▢1 ½ cup Warm whole milk
- ▢2 teaspoon Sugar
- ▢1 packet Active dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
- ▢4 tablespoon Sour cream or yogurt
- ▢3 tablespoon Melted butter or Ghee or Brown butter
- ▢1 teaspoon Salt
- ▢4 cups All purpose flour or Maida, add more or less as needed to form dough
For the topping and filling
- ▢2 ½ to 3 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated.
- ▢10 to 12 cloves Garlic clove, minced
- ▢4 tablespoon Melted butter
- ▢3 tablespoon Cilantro or Coriander leaves chopped
- In a large bowl, add whole milk, sugar and sprinkle yeast.
- Cover it and keep it undisturbed for about 10 minutes or until the yeast activates.
- Once the yeast has activated, add sour cream or yogurt, butter, and salt. Introduce flour in increments and mix till a dough is formed. The dough should not be dry.
- Transfer the dough to a working surface and knead it for at least 5 minutes to form a soft and smooth dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn so that it is completely coated in oil.
- Cover it and keep it in a warm place for about 1 hour 30 minutes or until it is doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a floured working surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into 3 to 4 inch diameter rounds. Place 2 to 3 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese at the center. Pull the edges towards the center and seal the dough to form a ball.
- Repeat it for each portion. Cover this and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can heat the tava / pan on a medium flame.
- In a small bowl, add 2 tablespoon of melted butter and coriander leaves and keep it ready.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each ball to desired thickness (Check the tip section). Now sprinkle the minced garlic on top and using the rolling pin, just press it into the dough.
- Once the tava is hot,on a medium high flame place the naan and add butter on top of it. Once the bottom is browned, flip it and cook on other side. Each side should take about 1 ½ to 2 minutes to cook, however the cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of your naan.
- Baste it with the butter cilantro mixture and repeat the process for remaining portions.
- Garlic Cheese Naan is ready. Serve and enjoy.
Leave a Reply