This garden vegetable soup is what delicious cozy dreams are made of. It’s adaptable to be made with different seasonal veggies, pasta or grains. An easy and hearty wintery Minestrone from scratch just like grandma used to make. Meatless, naturally vegan, healthy and comforting.
Keywordgarden vegetable soup
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot (grated or finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbsp capers roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 oz can diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 fennel bulb , thinly sliced (or sub with 2 cups of cabbage or 3 celery ribs)
- 1 cup short shape pasta
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley (or 1-2 cups dark leafy greens)
- Preheat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat. Sautee the onion with a pinch of salt in a light drizzle of olive oil or until softened. (Use water for Plantricious + WFPB diets).
- 1 yellow onion
- Add the carrot, fennel or cabbage and bell pepper. Stir well and cook a few minutes until the veggies begin to get some color.
- 1 carrot,1 red bell pepper,1 fennel bulb
- Push the veggie to the side and add drizzle a drop of oil in the center of the pot. Add the fennel seeds, garlic and capers and cook until fragrant (careful not to burn the garlic).
- 4 garlic cloves,1 Tbsp fennel seeds,2 Tbsp capers
- Add the canned tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, bay and water. Bring to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for a good 25 minutes to concentrate the flavors.
- 2 sprigs rosemary,2 bay leaves,28 oz can diced Italian tomatoes,8 cups water,8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Season the soup to taste with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Bring to a boil and add the pasta. Cook until al dente and remove from heat.
- Add the parsley or any dark leafy greens of your choosing. Serve with garlic bread.
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley
- Aromatics – Start with a sweet and savory flavor base from onion, carrot and bell pepper. Cook them down until they start to get some color and intensify their flavor.
- Fennel Seeds – Toasted fennel seeds together with garlic and capers give the soup its deep savory profile and make it taste like a rich “sausage” soup that is clean and totally vegan. It’s so good!
- Tomatoes – Choose sweet Italian diced tomatoes with all the juices for the most delicious broth.
- Fennel Bulb Substitute – If you can’t find or simply don’t fancy fennel you can swap it for two cups of shredded cabbage or four celery ribs. The flavor will be slightly different but you will make up for the volume and heartiness of the soup. Fresh fennel has a mild flavor and is absolutely divine in a soup.
- Pasta – Cook it directly in the soup to absorb tons of flavor and naturally thicken the broth. Use your favorite short shape pasta here: whole grain, gluten free, vegan tortellini or even mini ravioli would be delicious. Alternatively you can use barley, quinoa, small diced potatoes and even dumplings (I used Italian couscous.
- Vegetables variation – To make the soup even heartier and more of a stew you can add in a can of cannellini / kidney beans or green peas. Depending on the season you can make use of shredded zucchini, turnips, fresh or frozen green beans like I did in this Summer Vegetable Soup. Work with the seasons.
- Greens – Some freshly chopped parsley brightens up the soup nicely but basil would be nice any dark leafy greens will compliment this soup well. Kale, baby spinach, collard greens even bok choy, go wild!
- Calories: 53kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 247mg | Potassium: 517mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2356IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 2mg