- 4 to 6 firm green tomatoes
- 1 cup cornmeal or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying (vegetable oil or peanut oil)
- Slice the green tomatoes into 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cornmeal or flour in another shallow bowl and season it with salt and pepper as well.
- Heat about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. The oil should be around 350-375°F (175-190°C).
- Dip each tomato slice into the buttermilk and egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off.
- Coat the tomato slice thoroughly with the cornmeal or flour mixture, pressing it onto the tomato so it adheres well.
- Carefully place the coated tomato slices into the hot oil. Fry them for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Be gentle when flipping them to avoid breaking the coating.
- Remove the fried green tomatoes from the oil and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Serve the fried green tomatoes hot, as an appetizer or side dish. They are often served with a dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing or remoulade.