These soft and fluffy rolls filled with store bought pasta sauce pairs well with soups or makes for a light snack too.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Proofing time1 hr 30 mins
Course: Breakfast, Snacks
Servings: 12 rolls
- 1 Stand mixer or mixing bowl
- 1 kneading hook not needed if kneading by hand
- 1 11 x 7x 2 rectangular baking pan
- 1 Rolling board
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 dough scraper
- 1 moist kitchen towel or shower cap
- ¾ cup Whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup All purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon Yeast
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon softened vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
- ¾ cup warm water
- ½ cup Napolitana sauce store bought or use tomato basil sauce
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter for brushing
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- To the bowl of your stand mixer, add the wheat flour, all purpose flour, Italian dried herbs, instant yeast, salt and sugar. Mix everything well using a balloon whisk.
- Add the warm water and softened vegan butter.
- Fix the dough kneading hook to the stand mixer and begin kneading the dough.
- In the beginning, the ingredients will just come together to form a shaggy dough.
- Continue to knead the dough for 3 to 4 minutes on low speed until it becomes a non-sticky but soft and supple ball of dough.
- Apply 1 tablespoon olive oil to a mixing bowl and transfer the dough to the oiled bowl.
- Cover it with a moist kitchen towel or a shower cap.
- Set it in a warm place.Allow the dough to proof and double in volume.
- This will take anywhere between 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on the weather conditions.
Proofing the dough in the Instant Pot
- Or oil the inner pot of the Instant pot and transfer the dough to the inner pot.
- Plug in the Instant Pot and cover the Instant pot with a see-through glass lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to YOGURT MODE for 1 HOUR.
- Allow the dough to double in volume.
- Once the dough has risen, gently deflate the dough and turn it out onto a work surface.
- Shape the dough into a log.
- Roll the dough into a ½ inch thick rectangle.
- Spread the pasta sauce evenly on the rolled out dough, leaving 1 inch gap around the edges.
- Now, roll the rectangle into a log.
- Using a bench scraper, divide the rolled log into 12 equal pieces.
- Grease a 11x7x2 inch rectangle baking tray.
- Arrange the cut pieces in such a way that they are spaced ½ inch apart.
- Cover the tray with a moist kitchen towel and allow this to become puffy and slightly risen.
Baking the rolls
In the oven-
- Towards the end of the second rise, preheat the oven to 350 F ( 180C).
- When the rolls have become puffy, brush them with 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter.
- Bake them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- The bottom of the pan should feel hollow and light once they are baked.
In the air fryer-
- Preheat the air fryer at 350 F (180 C) if your air fryer model allows it.
- If your model does not have the pre-heating feature, skip this step and bake for 5 mins longer or until the tops have browned.
- Place the proofed rolls in the air fryer and air fry for 15 minutes or until the tops have become golden.
- Keep an eye on the rolls after 12 minutes to prevent the rolls drying out and hardening on the top.
- Brush them with 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter right after they are done.
- Serve them warm.
- As with all baking recipes, please use a weighing scale or a standard set of measuring cups and spoons to measure all the ingredients.
- I have used a stand mixer to knead the dough. You can also knead this by hand.
- The dough can be proofed either on the counter top or in the Instant Pot using the YOGURT SETTINGS. Please read the method section for more information.
- If you live in a cold place, the proofing may take longer. In this case, an Instant Pot comes in very handy for easily proofing the dough.
- Use a bench scraper to cut the dough into evenly shaped rolls. A knife will not give you even cuts.
- You can bake these rolls in the oven or in the air fryer. Refer the method section for full details.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 170mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 137IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 1mg