Prep Time15 minutes
Cook Time40 minutes
Total Time55 minutes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut in large chunks
- 500 g (1 lb) button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 30 g (1 oz) dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in 400 ml water (reserve the water)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 100 ml (½ cup) red wine
- 2 tablespoon flour (plain or gluten-free)
- 200 ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottom pot (cast iron is a good choice) and fry the onions over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the carrot and pepper and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Tip in the button mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally until they soften.
- Add the garlic and rehydrated porcini mushrooms and cook for another minute. Stir in the thyme, add the bay leaves and tomato paste, and then pour in the red wine. Cook for a minute until the alcohol evaporates and then add the flour to thicken the sauce a bit.
- Pour in the water in which you rehydrated the porcini mushrooms and the vegetable stock and cook without a lid for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, or pearl barley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply