This incredible vegan 1 Pot Creamy Curry Rice Soup is so hearty, filling and made with all whole plant-based ingredients. It’s not only healthy, it is downright comfort food. So creamy, it’s hard to believe it is dairy-free and oil-free! It’s even better the next day!
PREP TIME 20 mins
COOK TIME 30 mins
TOTAL TIME 50 mins
YIELDS 5 cups
- 1 packed cup (140g) finely chopped white onion
- 5 large cloves garlic minced (17g) (don’t skimp, lots of flavor)
- 3 1/2 cups (840g) low-sodium veggie broth, added at separate times (you can use water if you want, but broth gives more flavor and you’ll need more salt)
- 3 long carrots, sliced about 1/4 inch thick (176 g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of my homemade yellow curry powder or use store-bought
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons salt, separated
- 1/2 cup (100g) white jasmine rice
- 1 cup cashew cream (TO MAKE: 1/2 cup raw cashews (70 g + 1 cup (240g) water blended-see Note)
- Two 15 oz cans low-sodium white beans, drained/rinsed OR 3 cups cooked, 510g (cannellini beans)
- 2 tablespoons (30g) lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional Garnish: fresh cilantro, cayenne pepper
- If you are allergic to nuts, you can sub the cashew cream for full-fat coconut milk instead. No light milks here folks! Just shake the can first so you don’t get the watery part and know that it will have a slight coconut taste.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix, you will need to soak your cashews overnight. Drain and rinse. Then add to a blender or food processor with the 1 cup water and blend until completely smooth.
- Prepare all your veggies (chop them) and have your ingredients all ready before beginning, as the soup steps move rather quickly. Add your onion, garlic and ONLY 1/2 cup broth to a pot over medium heat. Once it begins bubbling, let it cook for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the carrots and another 1/2 cup broth, cover with a lid and continue to cook another 5 minutes. Most of the broth should be gone after the 5 minutes.
- Add ONLY 1 tablespoon of the curry powder, garam masala, ONLY 1 teaspoon of the salt and stir it around constantly for about a minute to infuse the veggies with the curry spices.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth and the rice. Bring to a high boil and once boiling cover and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes just until the rice is tender. Check a couple of times during cooking to stir.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt, cashew cream, beans, lemon juice and black pepper. Cook on low another 5 minutes or so just to heat through. It should be really thick and creamy. Note: Cashew cream does thicken more than coconut. If you want yours thinner, add more broth and add more spices. Taste and add any additional lemon juice,salt or spices.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, if desired. This soup will thicken a lot over night because of the rice, so I add extra broth the next day and reheat on the stove at medium-low and adjust salt/spice if needed. The flavors really intensify overnight so mine didn’t need any extra spice.
Serving: 1heaping cupCalories: 312.5kcalCarbohydrates: 55.6gProtein: 14gFat: 6.5gFiber: 11.7gSugar: 4.3g
Leave a Reply