This easy homemade vegan condensed milk is made with 4 ingredients and calls for just a few minutes of cooking. Rich, creamy, and sweetened with maple syrup, it’s a decadent (yet wholesome) way to sweeten your favorite coffee and tea beverages and add extra wow factor to desserts! Free from oil, soy, refined sugar, coconut.
Yield: makes about 1 ½ cups or 12 fluid ounces.
Servings: 8 servings
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
- high-speed blender
- small saucepan
INGREDIENTS US CustomaryMetric
- scant 1 cup raw cashews – Soak overnight if not using a high-speed blender.
- ½ cup non-dairy milk, plus another splash, as needed for consistency
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Note: a high-speed blender like a Vitamix works best; if you don’t have one, soaking the cashews overnight helps them blend. Blend until completely smooth, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Pour the sweet cashew milk into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened. If it gets too thick, whisk in more milk and maple syrup, 1 teaspoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- Use warm to sweeten hot beverages and drizzle on desserts like brownies, etc. For cold uses, allow the condensed milk to cool, whisking occasionally. Then transfer to a lidded container or jar and refrigerate until ready to use. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Can also be frozen.
This alternative version of sweetened condensed milk does have its own unique flavor of cashews and maple syrup. If you prefer a more neutral-tasting option, I recommend trying other recipes that are sweetened with regular sugar. You may also decrease the cashews, incorporate more milk, and cook the mixture longer until it’s as thick as you like.
Nutrition information represents a serving of 3 tablespoons.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Serving: 3TbspCalories: 125kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 3gFat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSugar: 13g
Leave a Reply