This potato lentil soup with kale is a wholesome and comforting meal on any day. With simple pantry ingredients and detailed instant pot and stovetop instructions, you can make a healthy meal easily at home
4.38 from 16 votes
PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME40 mins
COURSEMain Course, Side Dish
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3.5 cups water
- ½ lbs potato around 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ginger finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1.5 teaspoon salt adjust according to your taste
- Prep work
- Wash the lentils once or twice with clean water. Drain and keep it aside.
- Finely chop the onions, tomatoes, and other veggies if you use them.
- Wash, peel, and chop the potatoes into 1 to 1.5-inch cubes.
- Instant pot Instructions
- Start Instant pot in saute mode.
- Once it is hot, add oil, chopped ginger, garlic, onions, and bay leaves.
- Saute the onions for a couple of minutes and add chopped tomatoes.
- Let the tomatoes soften a bit and add spice powders – turmeric powder, red chili powder, dried thyme, ground cumin, coriander powder, and salt. Stir everything well.
- Now add potato cubes, lentils and mix them once.
- To this potato lentils mixture, add water and give a good stir. You can check the salt at this stage and adjust it as required.
- Stop the Instant pot saute mode and close it with its lid. Then, seal the vent and start the instant pot again in manual or pressure cook mode. Cook it for 10 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the instant pot finishes cooking, wait for 10 minutes and manually release the pressure.
- To this lentil soup, add chopped kale and stir it well.
- Close the instant pot with its lid and let it sit for ten more minutes. The residual heat will cook the kale. Or you can start instant pot in saute mode and let it cook for a couple of more minutes.
- Absolutely delicious Instant pot lentil soup is ready to serve!
- Stovetop Instructions
- Heat a thick-bottomed pot or Dutch oven.
- Add oil, bay leaf, finely chopped garlic, ginger, onions, and saute them for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To this sauteed onions, add finely chopped tomatoes and let them soften a bit.
- Add spice powders – ground cumin, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, dried thyme, and salt to the tomato mixture and mix it well.
- Then goes the potato cubes, lentils and stir it well.
- Add water and cook the lentils over medium heat for around 30 to 35 minutes. Stir the soup in between for even cooking every 10 minutes or so.
- By this time, potatoes will also cook thoroughly. If not, you can simmer for a few more minutes.
- Now add chopped kale and simmer for a couple of more minutes. The hearty kale lentil potato soup is ready to serve!
- Nutrition values are my rough estimates. Please feel free to use your calculator if you rely on them for your diet.
- Calories: 282kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 16gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 993mgPotassium: 1021mgFiber: 17gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 3522IUVitamin C: 61mgCalcium: 122mgIron: 6mg