Curried chickpea salad is a quick, easy, and healthy meal anytime! Enjoy it on a sandwich, tucked inside a wrap, and piled on top of salads, grains, and potatoes. WFPB and free from soy, refined sugar, and gluten.
Servings: 3 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 10 mins
INGREDIENTS US CustomaryMetric
For the optional quick-pickled onion:
- ¼ large red onion, sliced thinly
- a few tablespoons rice vinegar
For curry chickpea salad:
- ½ cup golden raisins – Also try currants, cranberries, or regular Thompson seedless raisins.
- ½ cup Oil-Free Vegan Aquafaba Mayo – Or ⅓ cup other vegan mayo.
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder – Start with lesser amount then adjust to taste.
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 ¾ cups cooked chickpeas – Or 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas; the aquafaba liquid can be used to make the oil-free mayo linked above.
- half of a large yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- black pepper
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Place sliced onion in a shallow bowl and cover with rice vinegar. Set aside.
- To soften and plump the raisins, place in a bowl and cover with water. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, maple syrup, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Taste, and add more curry powder, if desired (remember, it will taste more subdued once the chickpeas and veggies are added).
- Drain the raisins and add them to the bowl along with the chickpeas, pepper, and carrot. Stir to combine and distribute the dressing. Use a fork to mash some of the chickpeas (as many as you like). Taste again, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Drain the onion. Serve as a garnish, or dice it and fold into the chickpea salad.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
Store leftover chickpea salad in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing not recommended.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 340kcalCarbohydrates: 55gProtein: 11gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 550mgFiber: 9gSugar: 25gVitamin A: 3516IUVitamin C: 64mgCalcium: 94mgIron: 3mg