By using a store-bought wrapper and a simple rolling technique, you can enjoy this delicious crispy treat any time of the day. These dumplings are filled with cooked rice and vegetables that are simply seasoned with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil.
PREP TIME30 mins
COOK TIME30 mins
TOTAL TIME1 hr
- 30 dumpling wrapper
- 3 oz tofu cut into tiny cubes
- 1 small carrot about 3 tablespoons chopped
- ¾ cups chopped broccoli stem
- 3 tablespoons frozen corn
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- oil for cooking
- 3 tablespoons Thai sweet chile sauce
- Juice of ¼ lime
- a handful of chopped cilantro
Prepare the filling
- To make the filling, heat a non-stick skillet and add about ½ tablespoon of oil.
- Sauté carrot and tofu until tofu turns golden brown. Then, add the broccoli stem, corn and continue to stir-fry for another 30 seconds or so. Increase the cooking time if you prefer a softer broccoli texture. Season with salt, sugar, and ground pepper.
- Turn the heat to low and add the cooked rice along with the soy sauce and toasted sesame oil.
- Using the back of the spatula, lightly press the rice and toss everything together until well-combined. Try to coat the rice evenly with the sauce. Taste test and season if needed. Turn off the heat and set it aside to cool down.
Prepare the sauce
- To make the sauce, whisk together Thai sweet chile sauce and lime juice until well-combined. Garnish with a handful of chopped cilantro.
Make and Cook the dumplings
- Prepare the dumpling wrapper: Take about 3 dumpling wrappers and place them on a work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll it out to about 5″-6″ in diameter or as thin as you can without breaking them apart.
- Carefully unpeel each one and set side. Cover the thin wrapper with a cloth to prevent them from drying out while you work on the rest.
- Fill a small bowl with water and another small bowl with oil.
- Now, uncover a wrapper and dab the edges with water. Place a heaping spoonful of filling on the wrapper.
- Lift the bottom wrapper up and fold over the filling. Then, fold the left and right of the wrappers to the middle while securing the filling underneath. Roll it up to meet the top and seal.
- To cook the dumplings, brush a thin layer of oil on a heated non-stick skillet.
- Fill the skillet with dumplings in one single layer slightly apart. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes over low-medium heat. Peek occasionally to avoid burning the wrapper.
- Once the bottom of the dumplings turns golden brown, brush a layer of oil on top before flipping over.
- Cover and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes. The dumplings will start to puff up a little during cooking.
- Once both sides are crispy, remove and serve with the prepared dipping sauce.