yield: 6 CUPS prep time: 5 MINUTES cook time: 15 MINUTES total time: 20 MINUTES
A simple, quick and luxurious pasta dish full of scruptious mushrooms coated in flavorful creamy sauce. It is pasta lover’s dream dish for gourmet dining at home.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta ( I used gluten free penne )
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 7 ounces mushrooms (I used cremini mushrooms) sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coconut cream ( or evaporated milk, whipping cream or sour cream)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme or basil chopped – for garnish
- Red chili flakes -optional , for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Nutritional yeast or (parmesan cheese) (optional)
- Boil a large, salted pot of water for the pasta and cook it al dente according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms release most of their water and it’s cooked off.
- Add the wine, Italian seasoning, rice flour, and Dijon mustard to the pan. Stir until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Stir in the cream and nutmeg. Reduce the heat and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce has thickened up a bit. Season sauce with salt & pepper as needed.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs, crushed red chili flakes and black pepper and nutritional yeast (or parmesan if using) and serve. Bon Appetite!
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
I love cooking pasta dishes in Instant Pot since it saves lot of active cooking time and efforts in boiling water, draining it and washing extra dishes.
You can also make this Creamy Mushroom Pasta in InstantPot as one pot meal. Here’s how
Start the Instant Pot on SAUTE mode and add butter and oil. Once oil is heated, add mushrooms and garlic. Sprinkle pinch of salt and let them cook until mushrooms start to release the water. (3-5 minutes)
Once mushrooms have browned, cancel SAUTE. Remove cooked mushrooms and set them aside.
Add water and deglaze the pot by scrapping the bits stuck at the bottom. Make sure nothing is stuck at the base. Add pasta, enough
water to cover the pasta (about 2 cups..do NOT push the pasta down under water)
Add the wine, Italian seasoning, rice flour, and Dijon mustard to the pan. Stir until it all mixes well. Close the lid. Valve at SEALING.
Check the cooking time mentioned on the pasta box. Now press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and choose half of cooking time suggested on the box. (usually 4-5 minutes)
Once Instantpot finishes cooking and goes to KEEP WARM timer, wait for 7 minutes and then release the leftover pressure by moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING. After the silver pin drops, open the lid.
Stir in sautéed mushrooms, cream and nutmeg. Add salt and pepper. Gently mix everything well together. Garnish with fresh chopped herbs, crushed red chili flakes and black pepper and nutritional yeast (or parmesan if using) and serve. Bon Appetite
This recipe is vegan and gluten free and easy to switch to your dietary preferences.
Make it guilt free- Most recipes for creamy pasta include use of heavy whipping cream which is very high in calories. You can reduce the fat and calorie count by using evaporated milk. You get the same thick creamy taste and texture sans the empty calories.
You can also use lite or fat free sour cream to make it lighter meal. If you want to avoid wine, add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice instead.
I absolutely love adding a pinch of ground nutmeg to all my creamy dishes. Nutmeg adds an extra element to flavor depth. All you need is 1/8 teaspoon but you will love the lingering flavor.. do try it.
Saving the pasta water. Since sauce thickens quickly, adding 1/4 cup carb rich water helps to keep it moist.
Also I like cooking mushrooms in the sauce. They soak up the sauce adding extra richness to every bite.
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 366TOTAL FAT: 11gSATURATED FAT: 8gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 3gCHOLESTEROL: 0mgSODIUM: 84mgCARBOHYDRATES: 58gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 27gPROTEIN: 7g