A hearty and comforting creamy chicken noodle soup that’ll keep you cozy all night long. This soup is so easy to put together and is always a big hit with the family. Easy comfort food for any day of the week!
Ready in: 55 minutes
- 2 cups dry medium egg noodles
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (3 carrots)
- 1 1/3 cups chopped celery (3 stalks)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Prepare noodles according to directions listed on package (note that you want the noodles to finish about the same time the soup is nearly finished cooking) and drain.
- In a large pot, heat 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until tender, about 3 – 4 minutes, then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken broth, parsley, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken breasts and bring soup to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and allow soup to cook until chicken has cooked through, about 10 – 15 minutes longer (cook time will vary depending on thickness of chicken breasts). Remove chicken and allow to rest for 5 minutes, then shred into small bite size pieces.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 1/2 minutes. While whisking slowly add in milk and whisk vigorously to smooth lumps (it will take a lot of whisking to smooth since this is a lighter roux – lesser ratio of butter to flour).
- Whisk in cream and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour milk mixture into soup mixture and return chicken to soup along with cooked noodles and stir. Serve warm with fresh bread or crackers if desired.
- *If using thicker breasts, slice in half through thickness of breasts so they cook faster and more evenly.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
Making This Soup In Advance?
- This soup won’t freeze well because it contains dairy which tends to split and curdle when frozen but you can prepare this in advance and store it in the fridge.
- Important tips to remember when making this soup in advance are to not add the noodles until you are serving it. If you add them to the soup prior to serving the noodles will swell up and become mushy.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 484Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g75%
Vitamin A 6680IU134%
Vitamin C 11.3mg14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.