PREP TIME10 mins
COOK TIME20 mins
TOTAL TIME30 mins
- ▢24 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ▢1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ▢3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢2 stalks celery, chopped
- ▢1 tablespoon butter, For vegan/dairy-free, add tbsp of oil
- ▢1 tablespoon oil
- ▢2 tablespoon flour, For gluten-free, see the notes
- ▢2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme
- ▢1/2 cup red wine, (optional)
- ▢4 cups vegetable broth
- ▢1 cup heavy cream/half and half/milk, For vegan/dairy-free, see the notes
- ▢salt to taste
- ▢pepper to taste
Instructions for Instant Pot Cooking:
- Turn on Instant Pot on Saute mode (high). When it displays “HOT”, add oil + butter.Note: For vegan/dairy-free, add tbsp of oil
- Add onions and celery, saute until onions are translucent, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, pinch of salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until all the moisture has evaporated and mushrooms have released all its moisture.
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, to remove the raw flavor of the flour.For gluten-free, see the recipe notes.
- OPTIONAL: Add red wine. Deglaze the pot. Cook until all the wine/moisture is evaporated.
- Add vegetable broth, thyme, deglaze the pot. Mix well and turn off saute mode.
- Close the Instant Pot, vent to sealing position and set it to Manual / Pressure cook mode (high) for 10 minutes.Note: Turn off the keep warm mode.
- Let pressure release naturally around 10-15 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot, blend 2/3 of the soup to a smooth puree, leaving 1/3 of the soup chunky.Note: Blend soup to a desired consistency. Puree soup in batches, do not fill the blender more than 1/3. Keep the lid of the blender slightly open to let the hot air escape while blending, to avoid any accidents. Use a kitchen towel to cover the lid to avoid any splashes. You can also use immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Return the mixture to the pot. Turn on saute mode (high), add cream/half and half/milk. Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Adjust the seasoning salt + pepper. Enjoy!
- Use EXTREME CAUTION when blending HOT liquids to avoid any accidents. Follow manufacturers recommended instructions when using kitchen appliances.
- Adjust seasoning salt+pepper as per taste.
- Add more broth or milk to lighten the consistency.
- If using fresh thyme add it with the broth. For dried thyme I prefer to add it while sauteing veggies, with garlic.
- For stove top cooking, follow the same steps as discussed in the recipe. Instead of pressure cooking, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for around 20-25 minutes. Rest of the steps remain the same as Instant Pot.
- You can make this vegan/dairy-free – please refer to How to make Cream of Mushroom soup vegan/dairy-free discussed earlier in the post.
- You can make this gluten-free – please refer to How to make Cream of Mushroom soup gluten-free discussed earlier in the post.
- Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
Leave a Reply