For the casserole:
- 4 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (for a cheesy flavor)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (for a smoky flavor)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (ensure they are vegan)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×9-inch (23×23 cm) baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt the 1/4 cup of vegan butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion, red and green bell peppers, and minced garlic. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour, nutritional yeast, dried thyme, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to make a roux (thickened mixture).
- Gradually add the almond milk, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Continue to cook and whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes creamy, which should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat and fold in the corn kernels.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted vegan butter. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the top of the corn mixture.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling around the edges.
- If desired, garnish the casserole with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving, as it will be very hot.
This vegan corn casserole makes a delicious side dish for holidays or any meal. Enjoy!