For the Cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped apples (use a variety like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp)
For the Streusel Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Make the Streusel Topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the streusel topping. Cut in the cold butter using a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Make the Cupcake Batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
- Fill Cupcake Liners: Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake liners in the muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Add Streusel Topping: Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cupcake batter in each liner.
- Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Adjust the consistency by adding more milk if needed.
- Drizzle Glaze: Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, drizzle the glaze over the top of each cupcake.
- Enjoy: Allow the glaze to set before serving. Enjoy your delicious Apple Pie Cupcakes!